SMNRA RECREATION UPDATE AS OF 9/23/21
Go Mt Charleston is now offering weekend programs! For more information, please visit our event calendar.
Say "Hi" (and look out for) our Green the Mountain volunteers, and head to Lee Canyon in the afternoon to help us celebrate National Public Lands Day this Saturday, September 25!
The only way to keep wildlife wild is by giving animals space and never feeding them, even if they come up to you. It's also illegal!
Weather patterns in the Spring Mountains can be drastically different than what the Las Vegas Valley experiences, and the Weather page offers multiple tools, tips and webcams to monitor conditions and forecasts. Hikers should be prepared for monsoon rain and lightning, and potential flash flooding, even if the Las Vegas forecast shows clear skies. Remember to apply (and re-apply) sunscreen and dress in layers for hot sun and chilly shade.
FIRE RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT:
Stage 1 Fire restrictions in the Spring Mountains include*:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stovefire. The ONLY exceptions are stoves using portable fuel with an On/Off switch or knob, or campfires within the provided rings or grills at developed camp and picnic sites.
2. Smoking outside an enclosed vehicle or building.
3. Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame.
4. Using any type of explosive, including fireworks and explosive ammunition or targets.
TRAILHEADS open unless noted (*) below:
Click here for full trail descriptions
- Bristlecone, Lower
- Bristlecone, Upper
- Cathedral Rock/South Loop/Griffith Peak
- Deer Creek
- Desert View Overlook
- Fletcher Canyon/Eagle's Nest/Acastus
- Harris Spring to Griffith Peak
- Mahogany CCC
- Mary Jane Falls
- North Loop/Rain Tree
- Pack Rat/Escarpment/Acastus (*park at Cliffrose and walk to Gateway to access M-Thu)
- Robber's Roost
- Trail Canyon
Cathedral Rock Picnic Area
Deer Creek (Free, first come first serve, open dawn to dusk)
Foxtail Group Picnic Area (reservations required)
Sawmill (Free, first come first serve, open dawn to dusk)
SMVG Group Picnic Areas (closed due to Covid-19)
*All Federal Public Lands Pass (Access Pass, Military Pass, Senior Pass, Annual Parks Pass, and Every Kid in a Park Pass) holders are permitted free usage at single sites at all day use picnic areas except for SMVG, Foxtail, and Cathedral Group Picnic Areas. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
Dispersed camping is prohibited currently in Mahagony Fire burn area
*Access and Senior Federal Public Lands Pass holders are permitted 50% off at single sites. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
The Spring Mountains Visitor Gateway is open 9am-4pm Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays
We are beginning to schedule out small and large volunteer events, so check our calendar soon. We are also hiring a Volunteer Coordinator!
* Please note that additional fire restrictions may apply. For more information or clarification on individual agency restrictions, visit www.nevadafireinfo.org/restrictions-and-closures. Violation of these prohibitions is punishable as a class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000.00 for an individual or $10,000.00 for an organization and/or imprisonment of not more than 6 months.
*** find updates throughout the day on our Facebook and Twitter accounts
*Go Mt Charleston is now offering weekend programs. For more information please visit our event calendar or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*For any inquiries pertaining to setting up a volunteer event, volunteering opportunities, etc., please email email@example.com
If you head up, remember to dispose of your trash responsibly!