SMNRA RECREATION UPDATE AS OF 5/11/22
Macks Canyon 4x4 Cleanup is May 21, sign up to volunteer today!
The Spring Mountains Visitor Gateway is open 9am-4pm 7 days a week. Programs are held there and at other busy sites, please check the event calendar for locations.
Weather patterns in the Spring Mountains can be drastically different than what the Las Vegas Valley experiences, and the Weather page offers multiple tools, tips and webcams to monitor conditions and forecasts. Visitors should be prepared for high winds, snow and ice, and potential road closure for safety and capacity, even if the Las Vegas forecast shows clear skies. Power and campfires may be affected during high wind events. Remember to dress in layers and bring blankets,water, and snacksl in case of emergencies.
TRAILHEADS open unless noted (*) below:
Click here for full trail descriptions
- Bristlecone, Lower (road is unpaved, may be impassible with snow)
- Bristlecone, Upper
- Cathedral Rock/South Loop/Griffith Peak
- Deer Creek
- Desert View Overlook
- Fletcher Canyon/Eagle's Nest/Acastus
- Harris Spring to Griffith Peak (road is unpaved, may be impassible with snow)
- Mahogany CCC
- Mary Jane Falls
- North Loop/Rain Tree
- Pack Rat/Escarpment/Acastus (*park at Cliffrose and walk to Gateway to access M-Thu)
- Robber's Roost
- Trail Canyon
Deer Creek (Free, first come first serve, open dawn to dusk)
Foxtail Group Picnic Area (reservation required)
Sawmill (may be inaccessible due to snow, free, first come first serve, open dawn to dusk)
SMVG Group Picnic Areas (reservation required)
*All Federal Public Lands Pass (Access Pass, Military Pass, Senior Pass, Annual Parks Pass, and Every Kid in a Park Pass) holders are permitted free usage at single picnic sites at all day use picnic areas except for SMVG, Foxtail, and Cathedral Group Picnic Areas. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
McWilliams (sites 1-14 only)
Mack’s Canyon (unpaved, may be inaccessible due to snow)
Mahogany Grove Group Campground
Blue Tree Area (unpaved, may be inaccessible due to snow)
Champion Road (unpaved, may be inaccessible due to snow)
*Dispersed camping is prohibited currently in Mahagony Fire burn area
*Access and Senior Federal Public Lands Pass holders are permitted 50% off at single campground sites. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
The only way to keep wildlife wild is by giving animals space and never feeding them, even if they come up to you. It's also illegal!
FIRE RESTRICTIONS CURRENTLY IN EFFECT:
Year-round fire restrictions include*:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stovefire. The ONLY exceptions are stoves using portable fuel with an On/Off switch or knob, or campfires within the provided rings or grills at developed camp and picnic sites.
2. Using any type of explosive, including fireworks and explosive ammunition or targets.
* Please note that additional fire restrictions may apply. For more information or clarification on individual agency restrictions, visit www.nevadafireinfo.org/restrictions-and-closures. Violation of these prohibitions is punishable as a class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000.00 for an individual or $10,000.00 for an organization and/or imprisonment of not more than 6 months.
Go Mt Charleston is now offering programs! For more information, please visit our event calendar.
Looking for a way to give back while enjoying the fresh mountain air? Our volunteer programs are gearing back up, so learn more here!
If you head up, remember to dispose of your trash responsibly!