SMNRA RECREATION UPDATE AS OF 2/13/2019
*scroll for site/trail updates, fire news, programs, and upcoming events
For important messages during busy days, weather events, and hazardous conditions please follow our Twitter and Facebook accounts, as well as the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest's Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Spring Mountain Visitor Gateway Hours:
Open every day 9am - 4pm
Pile burning will take place though the colder months as part of Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest’s hazardous fuels reduction efforts. Read here for details on locations and how pile burning works.
- Kyle Canyon Picnic Area ($12 Mon-Thu, $18 Fri-Sun and holidays, 10am to 5pm)
- Deer Creek Picnic Area (Free, first come first serve, open from dusk to dawn)
- SMVG Group Picnic Area ($70 for reservation at Front Desk via Fee Tube at Picnic Site and Recreation.gov)
- Sawmill Picnic Area (Free, first come first serve)
- Old Mill Picnic Area (Fri/Sat/Sun only, $15/car up to 4 people and $5/per person walk in, 9am-4pm)
- Lee Meadows is closed to overnight use from sunset to sunrise, daily, year round. No fires permitted in the meadows, however stoves with an On/Off knob or switch are permitted.
- Foxtail (Sat/Sun ONLY when over 12" snow, $25/car up to 4 people and $5 for additional passengers)
- Cathedral Rock Picnic Area (Closed for winter season)
*All Federal Public Lands Pass (Access Pass, Military Pass, Senior Pass, Annual Parks Pass, and Every Kid in a Park Pass) holders are permitted free usage at single sites at all day use picnic areas except for SMVG, Foxtail, and Cathedral Group Picnic Areas. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
- Fletcher Campground ($33 single sites/$58 double sites. ALL sites are walk-in only. Campers may be asked to leave in the event of heavy rain due to the potential of flashflooding in the camp area)
- Mahogany Grove Group Campground ($130 per night, for reservation through Recreation.gov)
- McWillams Campground ($25 single sites/$50 double sites, sites 1-14 currently open. Even numbered sites are walk-in, odd numbered sites are reservation)
- Hilltop Campground (Closed for winter season)
- Upper Loops at McWillams Campground (Closed for winter season)
*Access and Senior Federal Public Lands Pass holders are permitted 50% off at single sites. Pass must be present and its information must be filled out on a fee envelope and deposited in the fee tube at the Self-Service pay station.
All trails open except:
Harris Trail to Griffith Peak (Heavily damaged by Carpenter 1 Fire)
Upper Bristlecone Trailhead is closed intermittently in winter for snow preperation and safety work for Lee Canyon Snow Resort
Mary Jane Falls and Trail Canyon Trailhead closed for winter due to icy/snowy conditions. Mary Jane Falls and Trail Canyon trails remain accessible from parking at Echo Trailhead.
Cathedral Rock Trailhead closed for winter due to icy/snowy. Cathedral Rock Trail and South Loop Trail are still open but hikers are encouraged to park elsewhere (ie. Echo Trailhead)
WINTER RECREATION INFO:
Lee Canyon Ski Resort is open! Open 7am-4pm, 7 days a week. Currently, Rabbit Peak and Bluebird are open, with 5 open trails on those runs and 2 open lifts. The Terrain Park is open as well.
Foxtail Picnic Area will only be opened for snowplay when 12 inches of snowpack is present. Old Mill Picnic Area does not have snow restrictions and will offer programming (on select days) and picnicking on site all winter on weekends.
Parking Restrictions: In Lee Canyon (SR-156), there is no roadside parking past the Old Mill/Foxtail roundabout. In Kyle Canyon (SR-156), there is no roadside parking past the intersection of Kyle Canyon Rd. (SR-157) and Deer Creek Rd. (SR-158)
Spring Mountains National Recreation Area (SMNRA) fire officials have lifted summer fire restrictions, so the area has returned to year-round fire restrictions. While in year-round fire restrictions, no campfires are allowed within one mile of homes in Kyle Canyon, Lee Canyons, Cold Creek, Mountain Springs, Trout Canyon, Lovell Canyon, and Coal Springs. Signs are posted in these areas to remind the public of this restriction.
GO Mt. Charleston Programming:
2/16/19 - Guided Snowshoe Hike (8:30am $10 includes snowshoe use, registration required)
2/16/19 - Jr. Snow Ranger Program (1pm @ SMVG. No registration needed)
2/17/19 - Jr. Snow Ranger Program (11am @ Old Mill Picnic Area. No registration needed)
2/17/19 - Guided Hike (Noon @ Old Mill Picnic Area. No registration needed)
Check the calendar for the upcoming winter schedule changes
*Programs and day use site hours may be shortened or cancelled because of heavy rain, lightning, or snow for public safety.
*For any programming inquiries pertaining to hike registration, field trips, educational outreach, etc., please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*For any inquiries pertaining to setting up a volunteer event, volunteering opportunities, etc., please email email@example.com.
(response to all inquiries is generally from Thursday-Monday)